Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Entertainment Value – A Readability – B Overall Value – A 
There was me that is Naman and my copy of a Clockwork Orange, that’d be sitting on my shelf. It took me a while to make up my rassoodock, that is my mind, about how I felt about this book. The invention of teenage slang in this novel can be a barrier initially, but do not be discouraged. The first few pages could present a challenge but overtime words repeat and the meanings of words become clear. In terms of entertainment, this novel does not disappoint, and it has become one of my favorites. As it says on the back cover of my edition, this is a philosophical novel, attempted to answer the question if it is better to be good blindly or to choose bad over good. I will not reveal the side that Burgess takes, but if in trying to make philosophical argument through the plot, he has incredible characterization, creating a memorable protagonist – Alex: a 15 year old that engages in heinous crimes like beating innocent street goers, and rape, but still has the sensibilities to love classical music. Intrigued huh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment